Man killed by pet cat bite four years after attack

Dave The Cat Begins His Journey From Al Wakra To England

We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info

A Danish man whose finger was bitten by a cat four years ago has died after he was infected by flesh eating bacteria. In 2018 Henrik Kriegbaum Plettner adopted a cat and her kittens from a shelter and was bitten when he tried to move one of them.

Although initially he thought nothing of it, within a few hours his hand had swollen to twice its normal size.

After ringing a doctor he was told to wait until the following day.

Following a series of consultations he ended up in Denmark’s Kolding hospital, where he stayed for a month while he underwent 15 operations.

However four months after the operation his finger was still not functioning properly and doctors decided to amputate it.

Despite this his health began to decline, with his mother telling local media that her son suffered from a number of aliments including pneumonia and diabetes.

She said: “He had very fluctuating health.

“He had a weakened immune system, pneumonia, gout and diabetes.

“The cat had bitten right into a blood vessel, and when a cat bites and pulls its tooth out, the hole closes and the bacteria spreads.”

Tissue infections in cat bite wounds are usually caused by hogenic bacterium known as Pasteurella multocida.

In some cases this can lead to a rare bacterial infection known as necrotizing fasciitis which can be fatal.

In Mr Plettner’s case his wound had closed almost immediately after he was bitten, which meant that the bacteria had entered his bloodstream through a vein and began to spread.

Nut consumed by millions could be ‘major’ contributor to mouth cancer [REVEAL] 
43% of stroke patients report the same symptoms 1 week before [INSIGHT] 
Chris Kamara’s new documentary shone a light on apraxia  [SPOTLIGHT] 

According to Mr Plettner’s family he died in October but they have gone public now so that others can take cat bites seriously.

His widow Desirée said that it was vital that people took cat bites seriously.

She said: “We knew that he was doing badly.

“However, we had no idea that he was so seriously ill.

“Go to the doctor after a bite, don’t think, oh, that’s just a cat.

“Don’t take any chances.”

Source: Read Full Article